Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Hat's Off for Avatar

Jason and I got our wonderful babysitter yesterday afternoon and went to see Avatar in 3D IMAX. It was the first movie I've ever seen in IMAX and it was definitely the best choice to introduce the medium of that immense wrap-around screen. Avatar has been in wide release for nearly 2 months, and every weekend IMAX showing was sold out (except for 10 am and 12:30 am). We bought our tickets online on Tuesday when our babysitter confirmed, got to the theatre 30 minutes before our showtime, and faced a huge lineup. Amazing that 2 months and 2 billion dollars later, Avatar can still draw enthusiastic, sold-out crowds.

It's been a long time since we've been in a movie theatre where every seat is filled and the air crackles with excitement before the lights dim and the first frame flickers to life on that massive screen. Everyone donned their enormous polarized IMAX glasses (which we were politely warned to return at the end of the show or an alarm would sound!) and settled back, munching popcorn, waiting to be transported to another world for 2 hours and 42 minutes. It's one of my favourite moments; waiting for a film to start, for the magic to begin. From the opening shot, I was transfixed, glued to my seat with wonder at the visual banquet James Cameron and his crew had prepared for me.

I read numerous articles in Entertainment Weekly and People about Avatar before I saw it, and yet I managed to go in knowing virtually nothing about the big blue creatures and this ignorance of the plot greatly enhanced my viewing pleasure. For the handful of people left on earth who have yet to see the film, I promise not to reveal any major plot points, but the themes are so sharply drawn, they had a deep impact on me. A friend who urged me to see the movie told me recently that the film, "Bordered on environmental worship", and James Cameron has freely admitted being a "tree hugger" during his press tour. I saw the themes as broader - corporations vs. communities, automation vs. nature, and power steamrolling over people. I don`t understand why Cameron has been so harshly criticized for his message in this movie. If you are going to invest 15 years of your time into a film, why the hell shouldn`t you have it communicate something important to you?

Avatar is a masterpiece. People who know film are saying it will change forever the way in which movies are made, similar to the advent of colour and sound. James Cameron may have made a fool of himself during his Golden Globe speech by congratulating the whole room on being Captains of the Universe, but he did hang his entire reputation on this movie as writer, director and producer. This project was his vision from start to finish. He took the heat when the budget got out of hand and when early photos leaked and he was mocked for his large blue beings. Then the movie was released, and he silenced everyone and made box office history in the process. He seemed to be the biggest nerd in the room at the Golden Globes, a science geek who finally found a space at the lunch table with the cool kids, and he went over the top trying to impress them. Before I saw Avatar, I despised Cameron for his ridiculous speech where he patted himself heartily on the back. Today I feel kindlier toward him, for having the courage to make this movie in his own way, delivering a message important to him, creating entertainment of the highest value, and breaking all box office records. My hat is off to you, James. I can't wait to see what you make next.

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't heard much about Avatar before seeing it - just that a bunch of my coworkers were excited about going to it together. Then my hubby showed me the trailer and I thought it looked interesting, so we went. The show we planned to see was sold out, so we hung around the mall for several hours waiting for the next show. As you say - a month after it released, and still a packed theatre. And it was very good. One I'd like to see again, as soon as it comes out on DVD. :) Very big themes and lots to chew on or discuss in that movie, and I like that sort of movie.

    ReplyDelete