Pages

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Oscar Night

It's Oscar Night, one of my favourite nights of the year. It's definitely my favourite annual party. We've hosted this party with the same basic format every year since we've been married, except for the year Ava was born because I had her on Friday at 12:03 pm and we got home on Saturday afternoon. I was raring to go for the party on Sunday evening because the invitations were out and the work was all done, but Jason and my mom convinced me that after 44 hours of labour it wasn't in my best physical interests to host a dozen friends for our party. They were probably right, but I hated to miss out on the event. People who loathe award shows can't understand why I love this party so much, but the competitive format keeps everyone interested in the categories, the trivia questions during the commercials keep everyone laughing and interacting, and the comedy seems much funnier with a large group than when you are watching it alone in your pj's. I love seeing people come together and expect to hate 4 hours of award show boredom, and end up having a ball.

Oscar Night is about big dreams. As a kid I watched the show and dreamed of the day when I would belong in that auditorium, wearing my designer gown, and delivering my clever acceptance speech. As an adult, I continue to hold that dream, and this year, with a fully developed screenplay almost completed and ready to get out into the world, the dream seems more realistic than ever before. I'm grateful for this dream; even for the unapproachable nature of it, because it keeps me believing in myself, and in possibilities, and doesn't ever allow life to be boring and predictable. There is always a higher plateau to aim for. Our reach must exceed our grasp as humans or we become stuck, mired in complacency and boredom. On Oscar Night I see people's dreams coming true and for me it feels like magic, glittering and beckoning me forward, and urging me not to give up until I accomplish my dream.

Right now the house is quiet and ready for the party in a few hours. The kids are staying in Canmore with their Nana, Auntie and cousin tonight. It's a bit like the first day of summer vacation when you are a kid - a beautiful block of time to be on your own with no other responsibilities and only fun on the horizon. As a mom you have to become reacquainted with yourself when the kids aren't with you at all times. It is a much-needed sanity break and I'm grateful for the opportunity to sit and rest with my own thoughts. Tomorrow morning I plan to work on my screenplay for a few hours before driving back to Canmore to get them. I expect to be fully inspired after tonight's show. Inspiration and dreams are gifts to open and enjoy over and over throughout our lives. I'm grateful for the opportunity to dream as freely as I can, and when those dreams become real-life experiences, it will be even sweeter because I looked forward to them for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment