Pages

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Creative Genius

Creativity is limitless; there are no boundaries to inspiration. I used to worry about all of the good ideas being taken by the time I got to them, but watching Wes Anderson's Fantastic Mr. Fox last night reassured me that as long as humans are alive, there will be a variety of ideas at play.

Creative expression can be genius, baffling, wonderful and trying. It can make us think, dream, and believe. I used to feel discouraged about my own abilities when I saw a masterpiece film, but I'm so happy to have banished that particular insecurity.

Genius now makes me smile and aim just a little bit higher. Our reach should always exceed our grasp. Without that we become complacent. Stagnant. Bored. There must always be more for us.

I've completed one screenplay that I want to sell and watch come to life as a movie. I have a drawer full of other script ideas that I've started or finished first drafts and can go back to re-work them. And I've started a new one that I want to be better - funnier, deeper and more meaningful than the one I have down in LA right now with a friend for feedback on my 5th draft.

One goal should lead into the next, in a never-ending procession toward our own personal greatness. We are the only ones who can limit ourselves. Don't give anyone else power over you or control of your destiny. Your life is held by you alone. Do not remain a victim of your circumstances. Rise above them. Refuse to be anything other than your best self, doing what feeds your soul and anchors your life with purpose.

I had a big week for writing. I received a writing assignment for a magazine based out of Calgary, and heard that a short story I recently submitted to a new online magazine had been purchased for an upcoming issue. Seeing your dreams turn into realities in front of you, step by step, building block by building block, creates a satisfaction on a level I haven't yet experienced but find I want more of. Suddenly everything seems not only possible but probable, and that knowledge brings a light sense of confidence to everything around me. I'm extremely grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment