Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Girl's Night Out

I went for dinner last night with some friends for a girl's night out. It was luxurious to sit and talk with no little ones to interrupt, ask questions, or beg to go pee. We sat and visited with no regard for time while the daddies fed the kids and put them to bed. It felt like a mini holiday in the middle of our regular lives.

We talked about the things that are common to all women: body image, impossibly high standards for our parenting, worries about being judged, concerns that we are making too many mistakes with our kids. We wondered why it is that men can move through life without worrying so much about what people think of them. For women, we often assume that other women are looking at us and measuring us on a scale, and we feel that we aren't scoring high enough. I think in many cases we have a legitimate fear of being judged, because we do tend to compare ourselves mercilessly to other women. "She's thinner, taller, fitter, more organized, she plays with her kids more than I do, she's more successful at her job..." and on and on it goes.

We need to stop shooting ourselves in the foot. This isn't a new thought; it's been said over and over in different ways probably since the beginning of time. But why aren't we improving in this area? Why do we still set ourselves up for failure, even when it comes to our friends? We are not meant to compete with each other. We should be supporting one another. We must guard our words a bit more carefully, especially in this electronic Facebook/Twitter/Blog age. Bragging about our kids's potty training prowess has the tendency to discourage parents who are struggling to complete this massive task. Moms who are legitimately proud of how well their child is doing in school unconsciously damage another mom's self-esteem as her child is reading at a lower level. We need to celebrate with each other in whatever stage we are in, and come alongside to encourage and support when that's what a mom needs.

Last night I realized how powerful words are, and how critical it is to watch mine more closely. When women appear confident on the outside, it's often masking a vulnerable soft marshmallow inside. We all worry, feel we aren't measuring up on some ridiculous scale that differs for each person, and what a better world it would be if we encouraged each other instead of labeling and judging. Let's lower our expectations, on others and especially on ourselves. We are all doing the best we can. Let's work off that premise, looking for ways to help shore up our own crumbling confidence, and in that process, help the women around us to do the same.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for once again putting some of my thoughts into beautiful words. Like I said last night I've been wondering why we do this to ourselves for a while now but am not as eloquent as you at verbalizing it.
    Thanks for the encouragement and for letting me be vulnerable with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Blogged about you again and "stole" your post. Again. I know, I have no shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy reading your blog. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and a little piece of yourself everday Julianne.
    This last post was especially poignant for me.

    Kandice

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great blog, you really said it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janice, you are more than welcome to "steal" from me and being vulnerable with someone is the highest compliment and level of friendship. I loves ya.

    Kandice, thanks so much for taking the time to comment & read, I'm so glad to know this subject was meaningful for you.

    Miss Candy, I'm beyond thrilled you are reading & thanks for the compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well put! I think that often we sell ourselves short in how well we are doing when we compare ourselves to others or listen to the judgement of others. I know I have felt so insecure about being a working mom as I had a few SAHM tell me that they could "never be apart from their children" and "I could never never work away from my kids". Once I came to realize that the decisions that I make as a mom are made in the best interest of my family and myself I was able to go to work with the knowledge that I was doing the right thing. In turn, I have come to realize that every mom makes those same decisions and I must offer her that same support.
    Excellent writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much, Susan....I couldn't agree more with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very well written. I am sure that women notice other women more than men notice women. May God give us the ability to show ourselves and others grace.

    ReplyDelete