Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Simplify

I wish I could figure out that I'm too busy before I hit that point where I feel stressed and shaky, and know I've taken on too much in a short period of time. I plan things far ahead of time, hoping that I'll have the energy for my commitments when the time comes. Sometimes it works out fine, and other times it becomes far too much, and I only realize after the fact that I need to say no a little more often, and value leisure and time off a little higher on my priority list.

We all have to look carefully at our schedules once in a while and evaluate what is working and what isn't. I had a visit with a friend yesterday who is in the middle of this process, and she is finding it hard to make these decisions because everything feels critical, but of course when you cut it from your life you realize that it's not as important as you once thought it was.

Time is our most precious commodity. Deciding how we spend it is the best determination of our personal satisfaction in life, and the choices we make shape the footprint we leave behind us. I can't cram everything in that I want to do, but I can be smarter about what I say yes to, and be more aware of my energy level. There are things I do that don't bring much life and excitement to me, and I have to see what can go from that list.

I can breathe a little deeper when I feel more in control of how busy I've become. I'm in charge of it, and must fix it so my family gets the best parts of me, and not what is left over after I'm spent and exhausted. Jason is just beginning his journey into the world of municipal politics, and I'm very excited for him, but it means that some of my busyness needs to take a backseat, so I have something left to give to my kids.

I'm going to think long and hard about this today. I love most of what I am doing, but when I can't find time to write, or sit down and read or watch a movie, I've got too much on the go. Jason gave me an iPhone as a present yesterday, completely unexpected and out of the blue, and maybe I can use some of its features to simplify my life instead of adding more complications. I can hope so, anyway, but up to this point, technology hasn't mixed well with me, so it's anyone's guess. Simplify, simplify, simplify. Three simple and easy words, but so hard to put into practice on a day by day basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment